Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Introducing Heather ...

Hello! My name is Heather Bowman. I have 4 classes left before I earn my degree. The electives I’ve chosen have mostly been Technical Services related, and I thought I needed some more Public Services type classes before I graduate, so I signed up for this class.

I’ve been the E-Resources/Government Documents Assistant at the IU Kokomo Library for 2 ½ years. I think I’d like to become an Electronic Resources Librarian. I know all the problems and issues with e-resources might cause most people headaches, but tracking down the solutions is my favorite part of the job.

I’m an introvert, and I need a lot of time alone every day to recharge my batteries. I have quiet, peaceful hobbies. Not surprisingly, I love reading, but also writing fiction. I enjoy visiting museums. My favorite is the Indianapolis Museum of Art gardens (although the exhibits are wonderful too).

This blog is titled Where Many Paths and Errands Meet after a line in “The Old Walking Song” from my favorite book, “The Lords of the Rings.” I was introduced to JRR Tolkien’s works about 6 years ago, and I’ve become a consummate fan of high fantasy since. More recently, I started reading science fiction after a co-worker promised me I would love Frank Herbert’s “Dune” series. I’ve always enjoyed history, and most of my reading choices are either literary classics or historical fiction. Anything with an element of history will pull me in, which is how I got started reading some suspense, mysteries, romances, and horror.

I’ve tried reading some ChickLit, but it doesn’t appeal to me much. I realized this while reading “Chasing Harry Winston” by Lauren Weisberger and wishing the main characters would get hit by a bus. There are a few exceptions, such as Cecelia Ahern, who I think is a fantastic storyteller. I generally avoid bestsellers unless I like the author, the book has been recommended to me by a friend, or I’ve read a really good review.

I look forward to meeting everyone in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment